Friday, September 23, 2016

#1 Darker Shades of Pink

I watched the sunset out my bathroom window. The brilliant hues of pink and orange were not too far away from the bright colors I was applying to my face at the time. See, while the rest of the city was shutting down for the night, my night was just getting started. I put finishing touches on my makeup with my favorite Victoria’s Secret bright Pink lipstick, and walked out the door, blind to the events that would unfold in the coming hours.
I walked down Blackbird Blvd. and turn to Park Row. I reached up and touch my favorite tree, the outside the fence of Howell Park. So many memories from that tree while growing up here in this dinky little city. I broke my arm falling out of it in 4th grade. I got my first kiss under it in 6th grade. Back then life was simple. We may have grown up in this sad town but at least we grew up happy.
Now I walk under the tree, purse in hand, hoping to find a cute guy at the party. I can’t explain why, but I seem to drift from guy to guy more often than Kylie Jenner’s makeup kit releases. I just can’t seem to find the right one. Or the right one can’t seem to find me.
I arrived at the cemetery at 9:30, and I could see the lights just coming on for the secret get-together. We teens party here every weekend. Sure, it’s a little disrespectful to the people buried here but we clean up really well after ourselves.
I hadn’t been at the party for more than 15 minutes when I saw him. A boy I had never seen before in our little town. He spoke to me first. He took my hand and led me away from the spot at the cemetery. I was confused. He led me away from my friends but me being the idiot I am, I followed. I didn’t know what to expect when he led me into the church, then through an ominous black door on the right of the church which led down to the a room I had never seen before. The room was a perfect square, well-lit by torches, yet I saw no one around tending to their flames. I was shocked, in utter disbelief of my extra-normal surroundings. I turned my gaze to the boy, looking for an explanation. He just stood in silence. I was spooked out, yet curious, wanting to find an answer to the endless questions flooding my head. Then I saw it move. A figure hiding in the shadowy corner of the room, step out, directly towards me.
I ran. I ran faster than I had ever run before. Right out of that creepy room, through the black door and past the cemetery. I ran right under the memory tree without touching it. I always touch the tree. And I ran right into Apartment 9. I’m still shaking while writing this blog and I haven’t quite caught my breath. I can’t explain what I saw down there, and for now, I guess I’ll live with that mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment